TreadingSoftly

Friday, July 11, 2008

Camels and Doilies




So I love the Artist Nancy Graves- when she grew up she visited the Natural History Museum alot, where her father worked, and developed a fascination with ancient camels. She does sculpture, printmaking, painting, and film. I love this one film she does filming camels ("Izy Boukir"- you can check it out at www.nancygravesfoundation.org). Its like a herd just moving, but with the camera she creates really interesting shapes and anyways- this is my little ode to nancy graves I guess. ( The last picture is one of her most well known sculptures) I also have a thing with doilies, I dont know why..but it seemed fitting to match it with the camel. I love everything feminine lace, doilies, dresses, white gloves, peep toe shoes...especially things that seem like they come from a different era. Sometimes I like to incorporate two random things...it forces your mind to make its own connection.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I ran across your post while searching for lace and doilies. Wow those camel sculpture is great. Will have to check it out.