TreadingSoftly

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Pineapple-Fennel Salad with Ginger-Sesame Dressing


I decided to start posting recipes among other things. I love cooking and I love trying out recipes my friends blog about- so I'm joining along.

This week I'm going to post some of my favorite salads! When it's hot out...and its hot out most months here in Texas- I crave crisp delicious salads. And for those of you who don't know Geoff and I are vegetarian, so I need lots of different salad recipes!
This recipe is awesome! I had never used fennel before this recipe- and I am a huge fan of it's unique licorice flavor.
Sweet pineapple, creamy avocado, crunchy fennel and nutty sesame seeds- its a keeper and everyone loves it.

Serves 6
Dressing
1Tbs. lemon juice
1 tsp. honey
1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
1 Tbs. sesame oil
2 Tbs. toasted sesame seeds or black sesame seeds

Salad
1 medium fennel bulb, quartered and thinly sliced (1 cup)
1 cup diced fresh pineapple
1 cup sliced radishes
2 green onions, thinly sliced (1/4 cup)
1 cup diced avocado
3 cups watercress or arugula

1. To make Dressing: Whisk together lemon juice, honey, and ginger in small bowl. Whisk in oil, then sesame seeds. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
2. To make Salad: Toss fennel, pineapple, radishes, and green onions with Dressing in large bowl. (Salad can be made ahead to this point, and refrigerated overnight.) Stir in avocado, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3. Divide arugula among serving plates. Top with pineapple mixture.

No comments: